Puhua, Cloud Thief


Q: Hey, "Roshi." I see that you've got a Little Manual of Shibumi Ki Do. Can you explain what reading the book might do for me?

A: Nothing at all, unless you also do some of the practical exercises. But having said that, it's not hard to do them -- it's nothing compared to, for example, learning all the moves of Shaman Tiger Qi Gong.

Q: Why shouldn't I just go to a Zen temple & do Zen meditation with a certified Zen authority? What do you possibly have to offer over that?

A: Shibumi Ki Do is the ancient way of Zen poured into the here and now. It's not about playing feudal dress up. My transmission is as direct & simple as the taste of cold water, or the sound of wind moaning in the pines. If going to a Zen temple helps you to wake up, I say go & do it! My Little Manual has in fact been praised by some experienced Zen meditating types, as well as the by usual riff-raff associated with my writings.

Q: So you say that Shibumi Ki Do is a system for attaining enlightenment?

A: It's more a rough ad hoc collection of methods all aimed at breaking through your conceptual & emotional barriers to the Mysterious Realization. Zen has never been systematic. One tries this, one tries that. When I play my flute I just try out various sounds until I find the one that transports me to ancient China, where I laugh & weave straw sandals with the likes of Puhua. Of course ancient China is always just here and now, & where is Puhua's laughter but in the sudden clattering of winter rains on the moss speckled roof?


No comments:

Post a Comment